Monday, July 13, 2009

stager invasion?!?

Warning: this week’s blog isn’t really a blog…it’s a rant. (Now you can’t say I didn’t warn you!)

Have you seen the latest offering about staging on TLC? It’s called “Stager Invasion” and it’s horrible. Of course, that’s just my humble opinion.

The host is a woman who is truly annoying. She is always freaking out and is really wound up tight – about every little thing required for the job. And she's snarky. The transformations are impressive because they are done in a day or two, but she has an ENTIRE army of stagers to help her. Like, 20 + people that descend on a home and make it pretty. Must be nice.

In addition, she relies on her relatively clueless Dad to help her out. She orders him around, but good ‘ol Dad always comes through for her…and she isn’t even nice about it! At least, you never hear her say thanks on camera. It’s irritating to watch.

Speaking of hard-to-watch programming, have you seen “The Stagers” on HGTV? It started in the winter and HGTV is running reruns now. As far as I can tell, there are two stagers – Matthew, who is barely watchable because he over exaggerates EVERYTHING in what looks like a lame attempt to be cool and quirky. The other stager is actually a mother daughter team. One is the stager, Bridget, and the staging assistant is her mom. These two spend the entire show bickering, fighting and being nasty to each other. It does not look like a healthy way to work. It’s definitely not fun to watch.

I stand by my opinion that the only good show – the one where you will actually learn something about staging and pick up some great tips – is The Unsellables. The host is great. No yelling, fighting, no snits, no snarkiness...

I am really glad that the staging industry is becoming more common place. It’s got to be an indication of popularity when new shows are popping up about it all the time. In general, I'd say that's good for the industry.

Unfortunately, the two shows I’m ranting about here are more reality tv than anything else. I will admit that from time to time a low-brow reality type tv show will find it’s way onto my “regularly watched” list. But that doesn’t mean I want to see this element in ALL the programs I watch. It's just my dirty little secret.

When it comes right down to it, I’m actually insulted. Not because I think it reflects me, but because as a viwer, it insults my intelligence. I have been a TLC fan and an HGTV addict for a long time…and I suspect that will continue. Looks like I’m just going to have to work harder to sift through their shows to weed out the crap.

Come on, HGTV & TLC -- don’t be like everyone else. Make your mark by offering more good quality, intelligent and interesting programming. It can be done! You’ve already shown you can do it.

And please, please, please, don’t portray all those in the staging industry as bossy, ditzy, annoying flakes. Some of us aren’t.



(Phew…thanks for reading. I feel much better having that off my chest.)

No comments:

Post a Comment